Over 40 and Feeling Fabulous
By Nosey Parker
If you want to exude confidence as a woman on a mission, but not be confused as a little girl trying to find her way, use these tips to take your wardrobe to the next level.
Ready to reinvent your 40 style profile or revamp old fashion favorites?
PUMP UP THE COLOR.
Infuse a serious pop of color with a bold overcoat, to-die-for accessories and killer shoes. Wear an animal-printed scarf or a patterned overcoat to put a little WOW into your fashion palette.
LEAVE A LITTLE SEXY TO THE IMAGINATION.
Forgo midriff-baring tops and thong-revealing jeans for sheath dresses that hug you in all of the right places. Pick one place on your body–that you dare to bare— and flaunt it with a style that is sexy, but never slutty.
Mademoiselle Coco Chanel celebrated bold accessories and made the use of a signature scent mandatory. Express your fearlessness and your femininity with large bangles, statement costume jewelry and perfume that drives men wild.
USE LINGERIE TO EXPLORE YOUR FASHION OPPOSITE.
Is your style type classic, but you long for bold avant-garde style? Select lacy and racy lingerie that you can wear under your prim and proper clothes. Mix up your style profile and take a trip on the wild side with underwear that only you, or your lover, can appreciate.
GO FROM DAY TO EVENING EFFORTLESSLY.
- Wear a basic black dress, black skirt or dark-colored trouser suit. Add silver and gold accessories with stronger makeup colors for evening.
- Add rhinestone or Swarovski-encrusted brooches to your white shirts.
- Upgrade a well cut pair of pants with a embroidered, sequined or sparkled top.
FASHION FAUX PAS TO AVOID
- Teen and tween fashion belong on Disney stars and anyone under the age of 18. No elegant woman over the age of 20 should be dressed in the same items of clothing that your children, nieces or grandchildren covet.
- Avoid baggy clothing. Baggy fashion does not reveal the fabulous body hiding underneath ill-fitting and oversized sweats, mumus and clothes two-sizes too big.
- Eliminate micro-minis as wardrobe choices, beyond the age of 25. Before you mention Tina Turner and Cher as exceptions to the rule, these entertainers have a phalanx of plastic surgeons and beauty magicians who can fight aging and eliminate any cellulite, age spots, stretch marks from their legs, instantly.
METRO BOUTIQUES THAT KEEP YOU UP TO DATE:
Norman: Mel’s Kloset, Cayman’s, The Webb
OKC: kokopelli, Ruth Meyer’s, CK and Company, Balliets, Gretta Sloane, Ten 14
Edmond: Pink Sugar Shoe Boutique, Marcy and Abbey’s, S BoutiqueShare story on Facebook Share story on Twitter Email a Friend.